Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Interview with Lynette Eason!

Join me in welcoming Lynette Eason!

Lynette Eason grew up in Greenville, SC. Her home church, Northgate Baptist, had a tremendous influence on her during her early years. She credits Christian parents and dedicated Sunday School teachers for her acceptance of Christ at the tender age of eight. Even as a young girl, she knew she wanted her life to reflect the love of Jesus.

Lynette attended The University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC, then moved to Spartanburg, SC to attend Converse College where she obtained her Masters degree in Education. A couple of years later, she met the boy next door, Jack Eason—and married him. Jack is the Executive Director of The Sound of Light Ministries. Lynette and Jack have two precious children, Lauryn, nine years and Will, who is seven. She and Jack are members of New Life Baptist Fellowship Church where Jack serves as the worship leader and Lynette does whatever she’s asked to do like take picture for the church directory.

Lynette loves to ice skate, go bowling, walk on the beach, visit the mountains of Asheville, NC, watch American Idol, Law and Order, A & E channel, and surf the web—and of course, read. She is often found online and loves to talk writing with anyone who will listen. She gives God the glory for her giving her the talent and desire to spin stories that bring readers to the edge of their seat, but most importantly, to the throne of Christ.

Beth: Tell us about your writing journey.

Lynette: LONG! Ha, no, seriously, it’s definitely been a journey. Mostly one made up of learning, persevering, the traditional roller coaster ride of ups and downs. I started writing when my daughter was about 6 months old. I’d submit, get rejected, submit, get rejected. I have to admit, I wasn’t really liking the pattern developing. ☺

Then I started a story that just felt…right. I knew it was good, and I felt like it would click with readers of suspense. I submitted it to the FHL, Touched By Love contest and it won 2nd place. I immediately submitted it to Steeple Hill who didn’t reject it outright, but asked for some revisions, then invited me to resubmit. I did and Krista and Emily bought it. Now I’m back on the roller coaster ride, only this one is a ride of a different kind. It’s great, mind-blowing that people actually like my stories, and such a blessing from God that I constantly thank Him!

Beth: When do you feel like it all began to come together for you as a writer—was there a particular moment?

Lynette: I can’t really think of an ah-ha moment. It wasn’t that something just clicked, but just the whole process of writing takes time to learn and I believe in this business, if you persevere, constantly put yourself out there to learn, you will be published. But it does take time and that willingness to learn.

Beth: Who has influenced you most as a writer and why?

Lynette: Um…Dee Henderson and Brandilyn Collins. They both write like I want to. They bring their characters alive, make you care about them, worry about them, hurt for them…and get mad at them. And they skillfully weave the faith element so that every book makes you feel like you’ve grown closer to God as a result of reading it. Awesome. And I want that for my readers.

Beth: Tell us about the writing process for you? Does it begin with a character, setting, or plot?

Lynette: It all begins with the spark of an idea. Once the idea takes hold, I have to go straight to developing the characters. I just can’t write a thing if I don’t know my characters. I have a chart that I fill out for each one, then I take them and put them in the center of that original idea to see what develops. Then the plot starts to take shape and scene ideas come to me. As the story unfolds, I sit down and write out a synopsis, incorporating everything I can think of about the characters and the story. Then I go back and shape it up. After all that, I sit down and punch out Chapter One.

Beth: Tell us about your latest book.

Lynette: Lethal Deception is Book 1 in the Amazon Adventure Series with Steeple Hill Suspense. The back cover reads: Who wanted her dead?

Having rescued Cassidy McKnight from kidnappers in South America, Gabriel Sinclair thought his job was done. Not that the former NAVY SEAL could ever forget the brave, beautiful single mother. But when the danger followed her home, Gabe promised to protect her. Why anyone would want to kill Cassidy was a mystery. Was the motive related to the orphaned toddler Cassidy was raising, a sweet little girl who brought out the father figure in maverick Gabe? Or did a newly revealed family secret have killer consequences?

Beth: What inspired you to write this particulate story?

Lynette: The Department of Motor Vehicles! Hm, does that mean I owe them a cut of the advance? Yikes!

Beth: What is the message you hope to get across in this story?

Lynette: That God is there in the middle of the bad times, whether you feel like He is or not!

Beth: What do you think is the hardest part of writing suspense?

Lynette: Keeping all the red herrings straight! And making sure the story makes sense. Really, just paying attention to all the little details.

Beth: What are problem areas you see in aspiring writers who want to write suspense? Advice?

Lynette: It’s really hard just to pick one problem. I would say to make sure you know how you want to start and how you want it to end before you start writing the story. Then after you get your beginning, because you know where you want to end up, it’s a little easier to write the middle. At least that’s how I do it.

Beth: What are your future writing plans?

Lynette: I just want to write and sell. I have so many stories in my head that I just want to get down. I just consider myself blessed that God has allowed all that’s already happened to happen. I definitely plan to continue to write for Steeple Hill as long as they’ll keep buying. It’s a great group that I work with, especially Emily Rodmell, who is my editor. She’s great. I would also like to branch out and write longer, more gritty stories. So, we’ll see what happens there.

Beth: What is the best advice you ever received?

Lynette: Don’t give up. Persevere, and pray. If you keep at it, learning, honing your craft, eventually you will sell. So, that’s what I did!

Thanks so much, Beth, for having me here. It’s been a blessing!

Thanks, Lynette, for joining me here at KMIS!

Lynette Eason's website.

Don't forget to enter the contest to be eligible to win Lethal Deception.

Blessings!
Beth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home