Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Interview with Cynthia Hickey


Is Fudge Laced Felonies the first book you’ve sold? Tell us about that. Your feelings when you found out you sold it.

Well, it's the first if you don't count the three POD doozies I've got out there. The feeling when I sold it was indescribable. I'd obtained my agent , Kelly Mortimer, a couple of weeks prior, then Barbour editor, Susan Downs, presented me with a contract at last year's ACFW conference. I thought they were talking about someone else, until my agent shoved me out of my chair. Susan and Kelly had cooked up the little scheme to surprise me. Boy, did they!

The name is yummy. Tell us how that came about and what the book is about.

The book was originally written under the title Buried Beneath the Midnight Blue, which is the title it won the Great Expectations contest under. After reading the titles for books two and three in the series, Candy-Coated Secrets and Chocolate-Covered Crime, Susan Downs suggested I change it to something high carb. So, Fudge-Laced Felonies it became.

Did this book idea come from any particular incident or experience? In other words, how did you come up with the idea?

When Barbour mentioned starting a cozy mystery line, my friend dared me to write a cozy for them. I didn't even know what one was, I had to ask on the ACFW loop! Then, my imagination took over.

Let’s talk about your journey. How long did you write before you sold your first book? And what is the number one thing you’ve learned from your writing journey?

I've been writing since I was fifteen, but only seriously started in 2000 when I made the mistake of going POD. My writing journey has taught me to never give up. If it is in God's plan for you to write and get paid for it, you will.

Everybody who writes inspirational fiction probably has a story about God’s hand in their writing career and how He’s guided them. Can you share anything in particular about that? Any one thing that happened that was an ah ha moment—when you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was in what you were doing?

When I got my contract. I never expected to win the contest, much less sell a book. I thought it would take way longer. But the desire to write has never left me, so I know it comes from God.

Do you have any future writing plans you’d like to share? Any specific dreams you’d like to accomplish?

I have book two and three in the Summer Meadows series with Barbour now. I'm also working on a couple of romantic suspenses and another cozy series.

What is the best advice you ever received?

NEVER STOP LEARNING THE CRAFT!

Any parting words?

If writing is what you want to do...write, whether your words are ever published. When my nineteen year old heard I had a contract, she said, "Wow, you're getting published before you're dead." If it's God's will, it'll happen. Hopefully, when we're alive to enjoy it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ausjenny said...

Oh this books looks cool too.
i subscribe to these books and love reading them.
I keep letting friends know how easy it is to sign up for them also.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home