Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Interview with Lisa Harris!


SUSAN: Coming out this month, is your fifth Heartsong. Tell us some of the background behind your story.

LISA: This is actually one of the first stories I ever wrote. About six or seven years ago, I took it to a conference where I met DiAnn Mills. She graciously took me under her wing, gave me pointers, and encouraged me to keep writing. Looking back, though, I now know just how far I had to go.
About two years ago, I decided to take the same story line and completely rewrite the book. This new story, A Matter of Trust, is the one coming out this month. Because I love suspense, I added a thread to the story, adding another dimension to the romance.
Here’s a blurb from the back of the book.

A year ago, Kayla Marceilo had it all—a great job in Boston and a handsome, successful fiancé who loved the Lord. . .or so she thought. When Ty turned out to be a liar, Kayla’s world was shattered. Moving back home seemed like a good way to pick up the pieces. Just when she feels like everything’s falling into place, Ty reappears in her life, claiming to have changed. But has he?

Ty Lawrence is sorry for his past. Tragedy and heartache made him hit rock bottom and realize what really matters. He’s changed his ways and is hoping for a simpler, more meaningful life in Farrington. . .and another chance with Kayla. When Ty’s past catches up with him, and he’s accused of defrauding his former company. Can he ever earn Kayla’s trust—and
love—back?

SUSAN: You also have a cozy mystery coming out early next year as well as a suspense with Love Inspired Suspense. What differences do writers need to pay attention to if interested in these two genres?

LISA: When I sat down and wrote these two novels back to back, I was impressed at the difference in writing style for these two genres. My cozy mystery is much more light- hearted than the suspense as it has a strong thread of humor. For the suspense, I had to work hard to keep the suspense growing at every page. Suspense needs shorter sentences, less-laugh-out-loud humor, and spine tingling hooks that keep the reader entranced.

Another difference between a mystery and suspense is that in a mystery, the protagonist is working to solve a puzzle rather run from someone who’s after them. While a suspense has a noose closing in on the hero and heroine with nowhere to run. Each chapter brings the danger closer and closer until that final dark moment.

While these differences might seem obvious at first glance, putting them into practice when you write can be a challenge.

SUSAN: How do you keep your cozies suspenseful without getting too scary?

LISA: The humor is definitely a tool to do this. Whenever anything gets too intense, I will throw in a bit of laughter. Pricilla Crumb, my quirky sixty-five year old heroine in my upcoming cozy mystery series, is always getting herself into trouble whether it’s poisoning one of her guests (at least that’s what she thinks), chasing a suspect in four wheeler, or even getting arrested.

SUSAN: Any future plans for your writing you’d like to share? Any specific dreams you’d like to accomplish in the area of writing?

LISA: I definitely plan to stick to the suspense and mystery genre, because I love writing it. After living in Africa for almost seven years, I’ve developed a huge love for the continent and desire to write stories set here. I currently writing an international suspense and hope to have an update on that project in the coming months.

SUSAN: Because I know there are many aspiring writers out there, can you share any tidbits of wisdom on getting published?

LISA: Writing is, plain and simply, a lot of hard work. Whenever someone tells me they have a book they want published, I first tell them it will be one of the hardest things they’ve every done. But it can be done. Persistence, discipline, and continual learning are all essential to get that “yes” from an editor.

SUSAN: Lisa is also one of our hosts here at KMIS. You can check out her blog or her website to learn more about her writing.

You can read more about Lisa Harris at her website: http://www.lisaharriswrites.com/
and her blog: myblogintheheartofafrica.blogspot.com

Don't forget to check out our contest page .

Blessings!
Beth

2 Comments:

Blogger Lena Nelson Dooley said...

Lisa, good interview. I can hardly wait until our Massachusetts book comes out.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Cherie J said...

Enjoyed the interview!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home